Can dermatographia be cured? This is one of the most common questions I am asked. And while I cannot answer this question for everyone, I can tell you what my personal experience has been.
For me, dermatographia is something I have been unable to cure. Even though I have gone on strict diets, and radically changed my lifestyle, some form of itching and redness has been with me for more than 20 years.
Here are a few things that have helped my dermatographia get noticeably better over time:
- Sleeping 7-9 hours per night
- Reducing stress
- Watching what I eat
- Avoiding too many processed foods
- Limiting alcohol to a few times a week
- Avoiding drastic temperature changes
And just like you can do things to get better, there are definitely things I have noticed that make symptoms worse.
Here are a few things that I noticed made it worse:
- Eating processed foods
- Having a diet that was too rich in breads and gluten
- Drinking alcohol too frequently (more than a few times a week)
- Going from hot to cold too quickly
- Taking showers that are too hot
- Sitting in hot tubs where the temperature is above 100 degrees
- Stressful situations or jobs
- Getting less than 6 hours of sleep per night
In my time online, I have seen many different people share about reducing their symptoms. But I do not really see folks say they have cured their dermatographia.
What about you, have you found a way to cure your dermatographia completely?